Coconut Oil is the new rave among us humans. It helps
increase metabolism, it is less likely
to clog our arteries than butter or olive oil, and it works
wonders on fungal infections,
sunburns, and dry skin.
What is not to love about Coconut oil?
What makes coconut oil rave-worthy to humans
applies to dogs and cats too!
Coconut oil consists of 90% saturated fats, most of
Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs). MOST of the
beneficial qualities found in coconut oil come
from these MCTs. Lauric acid is a main component
(about 40%) of the MCTs,
followed by capric acid, caprylic acid, myristic
acid and palmitic acid.
Lauric acid is exceptionally helpful,
it contains antibacterial,
antiviral, and anti-fungal properties.
Capric and Caprylic acids have similar
properties but are
best known for their anti-fungal effects.
Coconut Oil is popularized to humans for it’s
ability to help improve digestion and metabolism
as well as increase energy. MCTs are to blame!
MCT’s are efficiently metabolized to provide an
immediate source of energy and fuel. This means balance
to the thyroid! So all those overweight or lazy dogs/cats
out there will feel a change in weight and energy.
Many people mix coconut oil with their dog or cats food,
while others use it topically. Both options provide for wonderful
outcomes; improved skin and coat, immune system support,
improved digestion, allergy relief, illness prevention)
Below are a few reasons to look into using coconut oil in your animals life.
- Helps to heal cuts and wounds
- HOT SPOTS (who doesn’t love those fun summer-time
hot spots…try coconut oil!)
- Itchy skin
- Bites and stings (especially those flea allergies)
- Disinfects cuts and promotes healing
- Internal (by adding coconut oil to the food)
- Reduces allergic reactions
- Acts as a deodorizer
- Prevents/treats yeast and fungal infections
- Helps relieve itchy skin
- Coconut oil improves absorption of nutrients as
well as general digestion
- Can help heal digestive disorders (inflammatory
bowel syndrome and colitis)
- Helps to reduce bad breath in dogs and cats
- Aids in elimination of hairballs and coughing
IMMUNE SYSTEM AND BONE HEALTH
- Prevents infection and disease due to the powerful
antibacterial, antiviral, and anti-fungal properties
in coconut oil
- Regulates and balances insulin and helps promote
normal thyroid function
- Can prevent/control diabetes in dogs and cats
- Helps to reduce weight and increase energy
- Aids in Arthritis and ligament problems
********Coconut oil is a MUCH more
sustainable and much
less toxic source of oils than Fish.***********
Where to Buy
- Wag! carries raw/virgin and organic coconut oil
for pets. We also carry coconut treats!
- If you are not from this area you can find coconut
oil at the grocery store
–> Remember to ONLY buy Raw/Virgin coconut
oil – the helpful/healthy properties you want only
come in raw/virgin oil
How to Administer
- Coconut oil can be used topically or internally or both!
- Topically – you can apply a small amount to
cuts/hot spots/any skin irritation a few times a day.
Or apply to skin after a bath for extra moisture.
- Internally it is recommended to use 1/4 teaspoon per
every 10 lbs of dog or cat TWICE a day on the food or mixed
All information gained from experience and www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com